SEWAGE TREATMENT SYSTEMS
The Scioto County Health Department issues permits to install, repair, or abandon household septic systems and gray water sewage treatment systems.
Prior to installing any sewage treatment system the land or homeowner is required to:
- Apply to the Scioto County Health Department for a Site and Soil Evaluation.
- Obtain a soil evaluation.
- The soil and site evaluation may be completed by a certified soil professional or the health department.
- A listing of Soil Scientists and some System Designers are listed on the Ohio Department of Health's website in the Sewage Treatment Program. The link is listed at the bottom of this page.
- Based on the results of the soil evaluation a system design plan may be completed and submitted to the health department for review.
- Apply to the Scioto County Health Department for a permit to install the Sewage Treatment System.
If you are buying/selling a home or upon the homeowners request, the Health Department can evaluate your existing household sewage treatment systems. You must request a Sewage Loan Inspection and fill out the application.
Application for Sewage Loan Inspection
Application for Site and Soil Evaluation
Site and Soil Evaluation Guidance for Permit
Guidelines and Required Local Forms:
Site and Soil Guidance for the Homeowner
Septic System Design Guidance
Sewage Contractors Forms
Contractor Registration Fact Sheet
Sewage Installer Bond Packet for Individual System or Small Flow
Bond Packet for Sewage Installers for Multiple Systems
Sewage Hauler Bond Packet
Bond for Service Provider
Applications for Sewage Installer, Service Provider and Septage Hauler
When applying for any of the above you must bring in a copy of the State Test Certificate, the appropriate bonds for any activity in which you are applying and a copy of your business liability insurance. The bond packets are available above.
Application for Sewage Installer
Application for Service Provider
Application for Septage Hauler
Ohio Department of Health Sewage Treatment System Website
Chapter 3701-29 Ohio Administrative Code - Household Sewage Disposal Systems
Chapter 3718 Ohio Revised Code - Sewage Treatment Systems
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by in Descending Order within category