Font Size

Immunizations for All Ages

Immunizations For All Ages

What types of immunizations do we provide?
The Scioto County Health Department provides immunizations for all ages, infants through seniors! We can help you with all your immunization needs, including:

  • COVID-19 vaccines for ages 12 and over
  • All infant, child, and adult recommended vaccines
  • Required vaccines for school, college and employment
  • Recommended vaccines for pregnancy (Influenza, Tdap in 3rd Trimester)
  • Travel immunizations

Specific immunizations we provide include:

  • COVID-19 vaccines:  Pfizer (ages 12 and up), Moderna (ages 18 and up), and Johnson & Johnson (ages 18 and up) 
  • Infants and young children: Dtap, Hib, Polio, Pneumococcal, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Rotavirus, MMR, Varicella, Influenza
  • Preteens, teens, college age: Tdap, Meningococcal (MCV4), Meningitis B, HPV (Human Papilloma Virus), Hepatitis A, Varicella, Influenza
  • Adults: Tetanus (Tdap or Td), Pneumonia (Pneumovax-23 and Prevnar-13), Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, MMR, Varicella, HPV, Shingles (for adults 50+), Influenza
  • Travel: Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Twinrix (Hep A + B), Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, MMR, Tdap, Polio, Meningococcal.  We are a certified Yellow Fever Vaccine site.
When and Where Can I Get Immunizations from the Scioto County Health Department?
  • Hours: Walk-in clinic hours (no appointment necessary), Monday – Friday, 9 am – 3:30 pm.
  • Location: 612 6th Street,  Suite D (Lower Level of Scioto County Courthouse Annex), Portsmouth, OH 45662.  The Courthouse Annex building is located across the street from the Courthouse.
What Should I Bring to the Health Department When I Get My Shots?
Please bring the following with you when you come for immunizations:

  • Immunization Record(s) if they are available. (This is especially important if you are getting vaccines for your child!)
  • Insurance Card or Medicaid Card if you have one.
  • Photo ID.  (If the vaccine is for a child, we will need the parent or legal guardian's photo ID.)
  • If you are getting vaccines required for higher education or a job, please bring the list of required vaccines the college or employer wants you to have.
  • If you are bringing a child and you are not the parent, please bring a custody or legal guardianship document, or a dated, signed letter from the parent stating that you have their permission to bring the child for vaccines. The letter should state which specific vaccines we have permission to give them. You will need to show your photo ID.
Will My Private Insurance or My Medicaid Card Cover My Shots?
We accept the following major private insurance plans.  
(Note that most employer-based private insurance plans cover most vaccines, with the exception of certain travel vaccines like typhoid or yellow fever.)

  • Anthem
  • Blue Cross/Blue Shield
  • Medical Mutual
  • United Healthcare   
We also accept Ohio Medicaid and the following Medicaid managed care plans. 
(Note that Medicaid covers most vaccines, but not all.  Call us if you have questions.)

  • CareSource
  • Molina
  • United Healthcare Community Plan
  • Buckeye                                                   
I have Medicare.  Will Medicare pay for vaccines?
Medicare Part B 
  • Your Medicare Part B pays for influenza vaccines (your annual flu shot), and both kinds of pneumonia vaccines (Prevnar-13 and Pneumovax-23).    We can provide these vaccines for you at the Scioto County Health Department.
  • Note that flu and pneumonia vaccines are the only ones covered by Medicare Part B.
Medicare Part D (Medicare Prescription Plans)
  • Other vaccines (besides flu and pneumonia), such as Tetanus and Shingles vaccines, may be covered (partially or in full) under your Medicare Part D Prescription Plan (Medicare Rx card), if you have one.   By law, you can only use your Medicare Part D Prescription Plan coverage at a pharmacy.   Therefore, we are unable to provide you with these vaccines and bill to Medicare.   If you want to use your Medicare Part D insurance, you will need to go to your pharmacy.   We are happy to provide these vaccines if you pay by cash or local check.  Call us if you have questions.
Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage Plans)
  • Call the number on the back of your Medicare Advantage Plan to ask if your plan covers the vaccines you need.
Medicare Parts F and G (Medicare Supplement or Medigap plans)
  • Medicare Supplement or Medigap plans do not generally cover vaccines.  If you have questions, call the number on the back of your card.  
What if I don't have insurance, or my insurance doesn't cover vaccines?
  • If you don’t have insurance and meet eligibility guidelines, we may be able to help you. We have a limited supply of vaccine provided by the Ohio Department of Health to cover our uninsured and underinsured clients. We request a $10 administration fee per injection for these vaccines. We can waive the administration fee if it is a financial hardship for you; just let us know.
  • Children without insurance:  We can provide any child (age 18 or under) who does not have health insurance with any recommended vaccine through the federal Vaccines For Children program.
  • Adults without insurance:   We carry the following state-funded vaccines for adults (age 19 and above) who do not have insurance ("uninsured"), or whose insurance does not cover vaccines ("underinsured"):  Tetanus/Pertussis (Tdap), Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Twinrix (Hep A + B combination), Gardasil-9 (HPV, human papilloma virus), MMR (measles/mumps/rubella), Varicella (chicken pox), and Influenza (flu).
Can I fill out the registration form ahead of time?
Yes! Here is the link to the Vaccine Patient Registration Forms we use.   (We have a specific form for COVID vaccine only, and a general form for all other vaccines.)  Feel free to print a copy and fill it out before you come in, to save some time. It is also fine to wait until you come in; we will give you a blank form when you get here.

Vaccine Patient Registration Form   (Use for all vaccines EXCEPT Covid.)

COVID Vaccine Patient Registration Form