Font Size

Travel Immunizations

Are you planning a trip outside of the country? You may need immunizations! We can help you with your travel health and travel immunization needs.

For more information about immunizations, call 740-355-8358 and ask to speak to a public health nurse. We are happy to help you!

Related links

U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) – Travelers’ Health
This page allows you to type in your destination countries and find country-specific information about required and recommended immunizations, malaria prevention recommendations, health and disease alerts, and health and safety precautions.

U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) - COVID-19 and International Travel

U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) - Monkeypox in Multiple Countries

U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) – Measles: Plan for Travel
Provides information about measles outbreaks, immunization recommendations, and health precautions with regard to the current uptick in measles cases and outbreaks in various parts of the world, including the U.S.

U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) – Zika Travel Information
Zika virus is a particular concern to clients who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, and their partners, because it can be transmitted through sexual contact and affect a baby’s development during pregnancy. This website provides an interactive map to look up current status of Zika Virus in countries around the world. It provides specific recommendations with regard to prevention of Zika Virus based on destination and type of traveler (pregnant women, women planning pregnancy, men with a pregnant partner, and men with a partner planning pregnancy, and others).

Vaccine Patient Registration Form
To save time, you may fill out this form ahead of time and bring it with you when you come to the Scioto County Health Department for your immunizations.

Travel Immunizations

Why are travel immunizations important?
  • They can help keep you from getting sick while you are on your trip.
  • They can help prevent you from bringing a disease with you back to the U.S.
What types of travel health services do we provide?
  • Assess your travel health needs for immunizations and malaria medicine.
  • Provide most travel immunizations including Yellow Fever.  (We are a certified Yellow Fever vaccine site.)
  • Provide you with country-specific advice on how to stay healthy during your trip, based on CDC recommendations for your travel destination.
  • Provide you with recommendations about specific disease hazards common in your countries of destination.
  • Come to a group meeting and talk to your group about travel health, if you are planning travel as a group (such as a mission trip, etc.)
What travel immunizations do we provide?
Depending on your travel destination, your planned activities, and the length of your trip, you may need some or all of the following immunizations:

  • MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
  • Tetanus (Tdap or Td)
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Hepatitis A+B combination (“Twinrix”)
  • Typhoid (2 kinds – oral (pills), gives 5 years of protection; and injectable type (shot), gives 2 years of protection
  • Polio
  • Meningitis
  • Yellow Fever** We are a certified Yellow Fever vaccine site, and provide the Yellow Fever vaccine . 
  • Note that we do not normally stock cholera, rabies, or Japanese encephalitis vaccine due to low demand, but we can refer you to sites where you can get these vaccines if needed.
When and Where Can I Get Travel Immunizations from the Scioto County Health Department?
Hours: Walk-in clinic hours (no appointment necessary), Monday – Friday, 9 am – 3:30 pm.

Location: 612 6th St., Suite D, Portsmouth, OH  45662.  (This is the lower level of the Courthouse Annex, located across the street from the Scioto County Courthouse.)  

PLEASE NOTE: If you are coming as a group or a large family for travel shots, please call us ahead of time to make an appointment. 740-355-8358. This will save you time.
What Should I Bring to the Health Department When I Get My Shots?
Please bring the following with you when you come for immunizations:

  • Immunization Record(s) if they are available. (This is especially important if you are getting vaccines for your child!)
  • Insurance Card or Medicaid Card if you have one.
  • Photo ID
  • IF YOU ARE GETTING TYPHOID VACCINE OR YELLOW FEVER VACCINE – Note that most insurance plans DO NOT PAY for Typhoid or Yellow Fever vaccines. Please bring cash or a local check with you. We do not take credit or debit cards.
  • If you are bringing a child and you are not the parent, please bring a custody or legal guardianship document, or a dated, signed letter from the parent stating that you have their permission to bring the child for vaccines. The letter should state which vaccines we have permission to give them. You will need to show your photo ID.
Will Insurance or Medicaid Cover My Travel Shots?
We accept the following major private insurance plans.  (Note that most employer-based private insurance plans cover most vaccines, but DO NOT cover Typhoid or Yellow Fever vaccines.)

  • Anthem
  • Blue Cross/Blue Shield
  • Medical Mutual
  • United Healthcare          

We accept Ohio Medicaid and the following Medicaid Managed Care Plans. 
(Note that Medicaid covers some travel vaccines, including Tetanus/Pertussis, Hepatitis A and B, and MMR.  But Medicaid does NOT cover Typhoid, Yellow Fever, Meningitis for adults, and Polio for adults.)

  • CareSource
  • Molina
  • Buckeye
  • United Healthcare Community Plan       
I have Medicare. Will Medicare pay for travel vaccines?
  • Your Medicare Part B only pays for flu, pneumonia, and COVID-19 vaccines.  Your Medicare Part B does NOT pay for any travel vaccines.
  • Certain travel vaccines (MMR, tetanus, Hepatitis A + B, Polio, Meningitis) MAY be covered under your Medicare Part D Prescription Plan (Medicare Rx card), if you have one. By law, you can only use your Medicare Part D Prescription Plan coverage at a pharmacy. Therefore, we are unable to bill Medicare for those vaccines. You will need to go to your pharmacy.   We are happy to provide these vaccines if you pay by cash or local check.
What if I don't have insurance, or my insurance doesn't cover vaccines?
If you don’t have insurance and meet eligibility guidelines, we may be able to help you with some vaccines. We have a limited supply of some vaccine provided by the Ohio Department of Health to cover our uninsured and underinsured clients. There include MMR, Tetanus, Hepatitis A, and Hepatitis B. We request a $10 administration fee per injection for these vaccines. We can waive the administration fee if it is a financial hardship for you; just let us know. We do not have any public funding for any other type of travel shots.
Can I fill out the registration form ahead of time?
Yes! Here is the link to the Vaccine Patient Registration Form we use. Feel free to print a copy and fill it out before you come in, to save some time. It is also fine to wait until you come in; we will give you a blank form when you get here.

Vaccine Patient Registration Form - General (Do not use this form for COVID vaccine)